… a kind of Legal Column

Sick over His Affair

leave a comment »

Q   I  HAVE just discovered that my husband of sixteen years has been having an affair with one of the girls in his office. I am so hurt and sickened by the idea of him sleeping with another woman that I just want him out. Can I get him barred from the family home for his actions or would I be better making his life unbearable in the hope that he might leave?

A   You have certainly good reason to feel hurt and I would strongly recommend that you immediately seek counselling. The Counsellor will work with you in uncovering your true feelings, as whatever action you take at this stage will determine the course of the rest of your life. I wouldn’t feel that the facts as disclosed by you would necessarily entitle you to have your husband barred from the family home. Has there been a series of such encounters?  If so, is it having a serious detrimental effect on you and your children? If your husband is making life hell for you then you may have grounds for having him barred from the family home.

You need to seriously examine your feelings towards your husband, your marriage in general. If your husband gave up his girlfriend and made amends to you, would you be prepared to forgive and ‘forget’? You see, matrimonial law is very complex as you are dealing with people’s emotions. You need an experienced Counsellor as well as a Solicitor who is experienced in family law to deal with your problems.

The Star  Friday  January 19, 1990

Written by LegalEagleStar

January 2, 2011 at 2:40 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: